Episode 61: Fearlessly, Faithfully Following
We love our missionary families, and we are excited to hear an update from Jonathan about how his family is doing and what’s next for them as they get ready to return home. Jonathan offers an incredible reminder to us to not forget that God is who He says He is and will do what He says He will do.
Guest Spot Highlight | Jonathan, Missionary
- Serve in Africa. Planning to return home next month. Married to Ashley.
- Covid did not bring us home. Made a trip back in December because Ashley was expecting. New baby arrived in April. Taking baby home for first time so a very exciting time.
- Thad and Jan’s son-in-law. Jake’s brother-n-law.
- Being here has been good. Good times with family. Kids enjoying cousins. Have seven children. Been encouraged. Ready to go home.
- Tim: How can we pray for you?
- Jonathan: Traveling back. A lot of steps such as Covid test for the entire family. Extremely long plane ride followed by two weeks of quarantine in a hotel. Will be put in a room, and we stay put. Travel will be cumbersome and wearing.
- Also, once we get back, we have a lot to update and people to connect with such as friends we’ve reached out too.
- Different security concerns where we are located. Do not have the flexibility that you might have in places that are more open. I work as a businessman. Emails are all monitored. Careful and wise.
- Tim: How long since you’ve been arrested?
- Jonathan: Sixteen years ago took my first trip out of the country. Didn’t tell parents until I got back. Doing research on nomadic people in the country we were in. Ended up spending four days in jail. Humorous but so grateful God was there with us, and we were released and allowed to go back to the capital.
- We’ve enjoyed being at Morrison Heights and the small groups have been encouraging.
Devotional | Jonathan
- Thinking a lot about the life of Joseph. So many stories of Joseph growing up – coat of many colors, Potifer’s house, interpreting dreams, rose to be second only to pharaoh to prepare for the famine that was coming. Incredible story.
- A couple of weeks ago listening to Dr. Greg’s sermon on Hebrews and what stuck out to me was Hebrews 11:22. Doesn’t mention anything he accomplished. Mentions that by faith Joseph made mention or orders concerning his bones.
- Genesis 50: 22 – 26. Interesting passage. Moses took bones of Joseph. Time in wilderness and carrying bones of Joseph with them. Cool story.
- What we see ultimately in Joshua 24 after the army is disbanded and mostly conquered the land, they buried the bones of Joseph. Almost like the fulfillment of God’s promise to the land. Four-hundred and fifty years after Joseph made the statement.
- Hebrews 11 is filled with people who believed God was who He said He was and believed Him to be true. Joseph trusted God would do what He said He would do.
- Encouragement that we can only do what we do because ultimately we know that God is the one doing it and accomplishing it. We can count ourselves a member of that body of faith by remembering that God is who He says He is and going to do what He says He will do.
- Carolyn Heiden
- Wayne Russell, MHBC Maintenance Department
- Patrice Roberson
- Bill Bolls
- Heath Calhoun
- Brenda Castleberry’s sister Zelda Gully
- Allyson Collins, in the loss of her mother Phyllis Mobley
- Beverly Nored, in the loss of her mother
- Bill Thornton, in the loss of his brother
- Thank you for joining us!
- Jonathan: We’ve got a lot to do so please pray over the next couple of weeks.
- We love our family!
Host & Guest
Podcast published weekly